Sunday, April 27, 2008

Marriage Proposals

As single, white females, the other journeygirls and I tend to get a lot of marriage proposals. Most of these proposals are made out of a desperate attempt to get rich quick...because most Africans believe that all Americans are made of money, which unfortunately, is not true.
We have had some very interesting encounters so far. One man offered me American money instead of cows (the preferred dowry in Dinkaland), to which I replied that I would rather have the cows. This was not a good response. I think some of the other team members have thought seriously about selling me for the beef.
But in all seriousness, we do get a lot of proposals. Just yesterday, we were sitting in a mini-bus in downtown Lusaka when a man approached Jennifer's window. He greeted her first, as is customary, and then immediately said "I would like to apply to marriage you." She, of course, turned him down gently.
My supervisor says I am worth at least 100 cows, and that he would not let me get married for any less than that. Others in Rumbek say that a white wife could get at least 250 cattle. That's a lot of beef...so let's just pray that the team doesn't become too desperate for meat.

2 comments:

Keegan said...

I would say at least 250.

Though I am not asking you to marry me right now. Just to clarify.

Emily said...

i though you guys were learning bush survival skills not how to turn down marriage proposals lightly skills. can't wait to hear the next story.