Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blue Bulb Snot Suckers

I have decided that the things that Southern Sudan needs more than anything else are the big blue bulb snot suckers used by mothers to remove the crud from their children’s noses.


Last week at church, we were singing songs in Dinka and enjoying a good time of praise when out of the blue, I noticed that the song leader suddenly stopped singing. She leaned down to her baby, covered his nose with her mouth, and heartily sucked the snot out of his nose. Then she calmly turned around and spit the snot out onto the ground. I think I must have looked somewhat disgusted, because our supervisor's wife, who was sitting opposite of me and Laura, saw our faces and said it was priceless. This was not the first time I have seen this interesting practice, but it never fails to shock and appall me just a little bit.

And I thought American mothers were devoted to their children…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok I almost clicked “Notify Blogger about objectionable content on this page”. I wonder if the mothers did had big blue bulb snot suckers what they would do with them.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.